Instead of connecting your FlashRouter to the Internet with an Internet Service Provider through a modem, you can use your phone service connection for Internet. This will allow you to create a full wireless and VPN network for anyone in your home to use as you like. Note that not all phone services support this feature.
This specific setup was tested on a Netgear R7000 with the DD-WRT build released on March 22, 2016.
DD-WRT USB Tether Configuration Settings:
- Connect an Ethernet cable from a numbered port on the FlashRouter to your computer and access the router settings.
- Go to the Services > USB page and Enable USB and USB Over IP. Click Apply Settings.
- Go to the Setup > Basic Setup page and select iPhone Tethering from the connection type dropdown at the top of the page. Click Apply Settings.
IPhone Connection settings for DD-WRT USB Internet connection:
- In the iPhone go to Settings > Hotspot and Enable Hotspot and select Bluetooth and Wifi (you can also try USB only but in our test it worked with Bluetooth and Wifi selected).
- Plug in the iPhone USB cable to the USB port in the back of the router. Both USB ports should work.
- Wait 30 seconds after plugging it in and then power down the FlashRouter. Wait another 30 seconds and power the FlashRouter back on.
- The iPhone should then ask for you to Trust the device in a popup on the phone. Click Trust.
Verify your iPhone Internet Connection:
In your DD-WRT settings you should see the WAN IP in the top right hand corner change from 0.0.0.0 to a new WAN IP Address assigned from your phone.
Connect to any FlashRouter wireless network, or through a FlashRouter numbered port and start browsing the Internet.
You can also proceed with setting up a VPN network on your FlashRouter exactly as you would with a normal Internet connection.