Note: Do not use basic speed tests to determine your VPN encrypted internet speeds. Within these tests, there are many variables not taken into consideration making the results inaccurate. We highly recommend using the FlashRouter as you would any other router. Normal everyday usage will better gauge your speed performance.
If you are experiencing issues with internet speed, here are a few troubleshooting tips you can try within our FlashRouters Privacy App.
Basic troubleshooting for speed performance on FlashRouters Privacy App
- Select a different server location
- We recommend connecting to a server closest to your physical location since your distance from a server can potentially drop speeds.
- NordVPN and IPVanish offer two server sort options in the FlashRouters Privacy App that we recommend using.
- Change your OpenVPN tunnel protocol
- VPN traffic can be sent through either TCP or UDP Tunnel Protocol. Switching between both options could potentially increase speed.
- Note: Not all VPN providers offer the option to switch between tunnel protocols. The VPN provider pictured above is HMA.
Basic troubleshooting for speed performance (DD-WRT and Tomato Legacy Users)
All FlashRouters are configured to use OpenVPN by default as it is the most encrypted and secure method of connecting to VPN. If your speed issues persist and you prioritize speed over encryption, here are two options available.
- Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is an outdated VPN connection type for those who prioritize speed and geolocation over encryption and increased security.
- SmartDNS is a service that specializes in accessing Geo-Restricted content while minimizing speed loss. This method does not use encryption and does not change your IP Address.
- Here is a guide on how to setup your SmartDNS service on your FlashRouter
- If you are located outside of the USA and are interested in a SmartDNS service, we recommend using the provider Smart DNS Proxy. Click here to subscribe.
- ExpressVPN users have the option to use their USA SmartDNS service, ExpressVPN MediaStreamer